In this section you will find all the details concerning track and field and cross country events conducted by Sport Northland on behalf of the Northland Secondary Schools Sports Association.
Full details of national championships organised by the New Zealand Secondary Schools Athletics Association are also included, as well as the North Island secondary schools events.
Some important things to note:
- Age groups for these events vary – they do not match the Athletics New Zealand age groups.
- Some events do not match the specifications of Athletics New Zealand age group events (for example hurdles heights/spacings and weights used in some throwing events).
- It is the responsibility of your school to make the entries for these events. Your coach will have discussed with you what specific meetings/events you are targeting and the club will liaise with your school on your behalf.
- In the majority of cases your Sports Co-ordinator should be the person you should contact to express your interest in participation in these events. This is important as your school may be unaware of your interest/involvement in athletics (we hope not!).
- You should check what you need to do to qualify to represent your school (your school is responsible for that decision – it may be according to a finishing position in your own school’s championships and/or achieving a certain standard). If your school does not cater for your particular event (eg, hammer, steeplechase) the club can authenticate your performances and advise your school on your behalf.
- All secondary schools have been made aware of this website.
- If you or your parents have any queries/concerns regarding schools events you are welcome to contact Chris Portch.